This program has opened my eyes to the opportunities out there and has given me a second chance.
– Frank, Class 37 Graduate
The Apprenticeship Preparation Program (APP) prepares formerly incarcerated and gang-impacted individuals for careers in union construction trades. The APP combines workforce development with trauma-informed care to create life-changing opportunities. We selected union construction as the focus for the APP as unions ensure a living wage, do not discriminate based on background, and provide opportunities for career advancement.
The APP has been developed over 10 years to best support formerly incarcerated individuals to secure union apprenticeships. The 10-week, 240-hour program includes:
- Multi-Craft Core Curriculum (MC3): an apprenticeship readiness curriculum and certification program created by North America’s Building Trades Unions.
- OSHA-10 and CPR/First Aid Certification
- Case Management/Mentoring
- Life Skills with 2nd Call
- Employment Development
- Hands-On Training
- Construction site and union Site Visits
- Physical Fitness
- Financial Literacy
- Anti-Harassment and Know Your Rights and Responsibilities Trainings